International surrogacy arrangements can seem daunting, but if you are working with an experienced surrogacy lawyer, surrogacy agency and medical staff, many of the complications can be eliminated or proactively addressed through proper drafting of contracts, screening of the surrogate, and medical screening for any possible health conditions.
Here are some tips for a smooth international surrogacy relationship:
- Work with a reputable surrogacy agency that can provide you with references from former clients and other fertility professionals in their area.
- Consult with a surrogacy lawyer who has specific expertise in family formation law including surrogacy, egg donation, sperm donation and embryo disposition.
- Get to know your surrogate. This is an important relationship, and as in all relationships, communication is key to a harmonious and smooth process.
- Understand the laws in the state where your surrogate lives. California surrogacy law is relatively new, and therefore it is of the utmost importance to work closely with a qualified surrogacy lawyer.
- Work with an immigration attorney in your home country to ensure a smooth return home after your baby is born.
The Family Formation Law Center regularly works with Intended Parents from all over the world including China, Australia, France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Argentina, Brazil and Japan. Please contact us if you would like to speak to a surrogacy lawyer in Los Angeles or the San Francisco Bay Area, or would like more information regarding international surrogacy. 310-598-6428 or Rose@FamilyFormationLawCenter.com.